Keto Diet is one of the effective diets which deals with the three main components of human diet which are the fats, carbohydrates and protein.
When you are on a keto diet, your diet is consist of a very low-carb, high-fat meal combinations. Let’s just say it’s more of cheese and oils than bread and pasta this time.
This diet wants the body to focus on burning fats rather than carbohydrates. The carbohydrates in our foods are converted into glucose for energy and also important in fueling various functions in the body.
Ketogenic diet aims to burn unwanted fat by forcing the body to rely on fats for energy rather than rely on carbohydrates
WHAT’S IN IT FOR KETO DIET?
“High-fat” diet must have triggered you somehow, but let this not blind you to the real essence and advantage of keto diet.
Additionally, as discussed in one of our articles, you should not get terrified of fats in your diet. As long as you are aware of your good fat consumption, you’ll be alright.
This low carb diet was originally designed to resemble fasting which helps those with a specific brain disorder.
When researchers discovered the additional benefits of this diet, it was then that ketogenic diet was made popular.
Keto or ketogenic is from the word ‘ketosis”. Ketosis means the abnormal increase of ketone bodies in the body.
Ketone are class of organic compounds characterized by a carbonyl group attached to two carbon atoms.
Which basically means that if you are in ketogenic diet, chances are your body will be put in a state of ketosis.
Now, what does it mean then? Is it a good thing or is it something we shouldn’t consider?
Here’s what it means.
Ketosis is just of the body’s metabolic process. Ketones are types of acids produced when the body burns stored fats instead of carbohydrates for additional energy.
Ketones build up in the blood and are eliminated in the urine. Once the ketone levels in the blood rises, then the state of ketosis begins which happens approximately 3 to 4 days after taking into keto diet.
This fact helps with weight-loss goals as it aims to force the body to burn stored fats rapidly.
Can you imagine how ironic when you have to eat a high fat, low carb diet to burn fat rapidly? Well, that’s just how it works for keto diet, quite amazing.
HOW TO START THIS KETO DIET JOURNEY?
Keto diet can have significant effects on your health. It can have positive effects on health conditions like cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
Most of these health benefits we get are because of its weight-loss effect.
Keto diet is all about avoiding too much consumption of carbohydrates. Carb intake should not more than 50 grams per day.
Enough being said, about 75% of calories should be derived from fats leaving only 20% from protein and a rough 5% from carbohydrates respectively.
From the fact that keto diet is all about a high-fat diet doesn’t mean you can always eat just any kind of fat.
You should go and invest only on the “good fats”. Good fat or the “unsaturated” ones are those fats from nuts, peanut butter, seeds, olive oil, avocados, and even fats from salmon and mackerel.
These foods are safe and contains healthy fats that can increase the levels of good cholesterol in the body.
In return, these fats can help reduce risks of various cardiovascular diseases and help improve our immune system.
And if you are not quite sure where to begin with this keto diet journey, take it easy. There are really worthy, delicious and healthy keto recipes you can try.
WHAT NOT TO EAT
- Get rid of all starchy and grainy foods.
- Rice, Corn
- Bagels, Croissants, Rolls, Wraps
- Avoid all sugary foods and drinks.
- Fruit juices
- Milk Chocolates
- Pastries, Candy bars
- Sweetened Yogurt
- Regular milk, Skim milk
- Discard legumes.
- Beans, Lentils, Peas
- Stop using vegetable and seed oils in cooking.
- No to canola oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil
WHAT TO EAT
Veggies (Non-Starchy Vegetables only)
- Broccoli, Lettuce
- Onions, Garlic, Pepper
Fish, Meat & Eggs
- Peanut butter
- Whipping cream
- Olive oil
- Avocado oil
SAMPLE KETO DIET RECIPES
Cauliflower Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets and stem removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 2 thick slices of white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Then, place cauliflower into food processor and pulse until crumbs about half the size of a grain of rice.
- Next, place cauliflower into large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Your cauliflower should be soft and tender
- Now, stir cauliflower to mix up the bottom and top cauliflower.
- Place back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove and stir again so that all the cauliflower cooks evenly and place back into microwave and cook for 5 minutes. At this point, you should see the cauliflower is starting to become drier. Microwave for another 5 minutes.
- Then, allow cauliflower to cool for a few minutes. Then add in egg, parmesan and seasoning.
- Stir to combine until smooth paste forms. Divide dough into 4 equal parts.
- Place onto large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat mat. Using your knuckles and fingers, shape into square bread slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake cauliflower bread for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes.
- Using a good spatula, carefully slide cauliflower bread off of parchment paper. Now you are ready to assemble your sandwiches. Make 2 cauliflower sandwiches by adding a slice of cheese in between each pair of bread slices.
- Now, place sandwiches into toaster oven and broil for several minutes (5-10) until cheese is completely melted and bread is toasty.
Easy Crockpot Chicken Stew
- 2 cups chicken stock*
- 2 medium carrots (1/2 cup), peeled and finely diced
- celery sticks (1 cup), diced
- ½ onion (1/2 cup), diced
- 28 ounces skinless and deboned chicken thighs diced into 1″ pieces
- 1 spring fresh rosemary or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- xantham gum, to desired thickness starting at ⅛ teaspoon
- Place the chicken stock, carrots, celery, onion, chicken thighs, rosemary, garlic, thyme, and oregano into a 3-quart crockpot or larger. Then, cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in spinach and the heavy cream.
- Sprinkle and thicken with xantham gum to desired thickness starting at ⅛th teaspoon.
- Continue to whisk until mix and cook for another 10 minutes.
Hamburger Patties with Creamy Tomato Sauce and Fried Cabbage
Ingredients for Hamburger patties:
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- an egg
- a cup of fresh spinach
- 3 oz. feta cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ¾ fresh parsley
- a tbsp. of olive oil
Ingredients for Gravy:
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 ¾ oz. fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and pepper
Ingredients for Fried Green Cabbage:
- 1 ½ lbs shredded green cabbage
- 4 ¼ oz. butter
- salt and pepper
- Mix all the ingredients for the hamburgers and form eight oblong patties.
- Fry over medium-high heat in both butter and olive oil for at least 10 minutes or until the patties have turned a nice color.
- Pour the tomato paste and the whipping cream into the pan when the patties are almost done. Stir and let the cream boil together.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley on top before serving
Butter-fried green cabbage
- Shred the cabbage with a knife or use a food processor.
- Melt butter in a frying pan.
- Sauté the shredded cabbage over medium heat for at least 15 minutes or until the cabbage reaches desired color and consistency.
- Stir regularly and lower the heat a little towards the end. Add salt and pepper to taste.
BENEFITS OF KETO DIET
- Low-carb diets like keto diet helps lower blood sugar levels and may possibly reverse type II diabetes.
- Ketogenic diet are high in fat, thus helps increases levels of HDL or the good cholesterol and also leads to significant reduction in blood pressure.
- Perfect for weight-loss goals. Many people successfully use ketogenic diets today to decrease body fat levels. By consuming a higher fat/lower carb diet, you retrain the body to use fat as an energy source and allow the body to tap into its own fat reserves – burning it as energy.
Now, there should be enough reasons for you to switch to a ketogenic diet.